Old Mutual was established in Cape Town in 1845 as South Africa's first mutual life insurance company, offering financial security in uncertain times.
Our purpose is to help our customers thrive by enabling them to achieve their lifetime financial goals, while investing their funds in ways that will create a positive future for them, their families, their communities and broader society.
In this way, we significantly contribute to improving the lives of our customers and their communities while ensuring a sustainable future for our business.
We now employ more than 30,000 people and operate in 14 countries across two regions:
- Africa (South Africa, Namibia, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Kenya, Malawi, Tanzania, Nigeria, Ghana, Uganda, Rwanda, South Sudan and eSwatini)
- Asia (China)
Old Mutual manages its business through 7 operational segments.
- Wealth and Investments, which includes:
- Old Mutual International which forms part of Old Mutual Wealth (SA),
- Old Mutual Investment Group, comprising 8 investment boutiques that provide asset management services to retirement and benefit funds and to the retail market in partnership with Old Mutual Wealth (SA),
- Old Mutual Alternative Investments, an unlisted alternatives investment business, and
- Old Mutual Specialised Finance, a proprietary risk and investment capability which manages and supports the origination of assets.
- Mass and Foundation Cluster
- Personal Finance
- Old Mutual Corporate
- Old Mutual Insure
- Rest of Africa, which operates in Life and Savings, Property and Casualty (including health insurance), Banking and Lending (including micro-lending) and Asset Management. The segment operates in 12 countries across 3 regions: SADC, East Africa and West Africa.
- In China, the segment offers life insurance through its joint venture (50%) with the China Guodian Corporation.
Old Mutual has an ambition to become a premium financial services group in sub-Saharan Africa and currently offers a broad spectrum of financial solutions to retail and corporate customers across key markets in 17 countries.